Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My Own Little World

I like spending time inside my own head. It's comfy in there, and we've got snacks.

Because I enjoy spending time in my own head so much, I've developed a few bad (though often useful) habits: drifting off, and going on autopilot.

Drifting off is something I did just a few minutes ago when I was thinking about what to write for this blog post. I just sat in front of my computer screen for a while, eyes out of focus. Usually when I remember where I am and what I'm doing, I shake myself a little to make sure my body knows that my mind is available for directing it again. Drifting off is useful when you're not interested in being bothered by people you don't like. It's very inconvenient when you're married, and your wife is trying to talk to you about her day. Sorry honey.

Going on autopilot is something that happens when I'm doing something boring, repetitive, or both. It's like drifting off, except a part of my mind is still telling my body to do things. I do this often at work. It's nice because time seems to fast-forward a little, and longer shifts are a little easier to get through. It's very bad, in that I have difficulty hearing and/or responding to my coworkers. I also have difficulty following directions, though I'm afraid I'd have that problem even if I wasn't on autopilot. This makes me seem kind of stupid. I swear I'm not. I'm just a little bit distracted by the entire world living behind my eyes.

Unfortunately, it seems that the qualities that make me somewhat spacey are the same qualities responsible for my creativity. I need my introspective nature, despite the problems it often causes for me.

What about you? Do you resonate with any of this, or are you a hyper-focused guru of focusedness? Talk back to me.

1 comment:

carly said...

Every line I read I thought, that's exactly me. I drift away so often and now its a bad habit. Sometimes I really need to listen to friend but my mind would drift away. This habit also gives me an aloof nature which makes people reluctant to approach. And they also assume that I'm not a kind person. Going on autopilot is a bad habit but it really has its advantages.

 
Creative Commons License
The Institute for Circular Reasoning by Peter Semple is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.