Thursday, July 30, 2009

Hard Things

I've been reading "Do Hard Things." by Alex and Brett Harris. It's meant for a teen audience, but the lessons it provides hold true for every age group.

One of the book's points struck me the other day. It was something I hadn't really ever thought about before, though it may be fairly obvious to some of you.

How many excuses do we make on a given day? How many times to we say "Well, I'm just not gifted in that way," or "I could never do this because (insert reason here)."

I've made a lot of them. I didn't try as hard as I should have in my math classes because I said, "I'm not a math person." I haven't had anything major published yet because I keep telling myself that no one wants to read what I have to say.
Sometimes I don't work out when I say I'm going to, because I'm "just too tired."
The list goes on.

Those excuses build up a thick wall that often keeps us from ever attempting the things we aspire to or know we must accomplish. They should be dismantled.

What if we fail? What if we really can't do what we've convinced ourselves we can't?
That's another excuse. No failure is complete. Each time we fail and get back up, we grow "muscle." If we never allow for the possibility of failure, we never get better in the areas we need to grow in.

If this message resonates with you, you can find the book here: http://www.therebelution.com/dohardthings/

I highly recommend it.

Direchihuahua

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
The Institute for Circular Reasoning by Peter Semple is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.