Monday, April 6, 2009

Fleet Foxes and Other Things

I'm thinking of getting headphones surgically attached to my ears.
I've found a band that I cannot stop listening to. The Fleet Foxes, based out of Seattle, have invaded my brain with their musical awesomeness. I think I'm going to let them keep it. No use fighting for real estate I'm not really using.

Seriously, this is a folk band worth checking out. Beautiful and haunting three and four part harmonies, lyrics that manage to be nearly inscrutable and amazingly down-to-earth at the same time, and a singer with a really cool beard. What more could you ask for?

The singing is by no means pitch-perfect, but it's nearly so, and has a wondrous raw quality that much of today's electronically assisted music lacks. As near as I can tell, their tracks are recorded with all of their original charm intact (the little noises that let you know the music was recorded in an actual studio by actual human beings), cutting a few sizeable chinks in the normally present musical fourth wall between recorded artist and audience.

Anyway, now that I've provided the Foxes with some free advertising, onto other things.

I've started writing songs again. It feels really good to let the ideas flow a little, since I've been storing up some pretty strong emotions for a while. I tell ya, those things'll rot your brain if you keep 'em there long enough.

No, wait, I didn't mean it like that! Please, come back! If you leave, I'll start writing songs like this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1BdQcJ2ZYY&fmt=18

Phew...much better.

1 comment:

WilesOfStarlight said...

That opening line is quite an attention-grabber. Very well put -- and slightly strange, lol. I guess I shall have to find some time to check out the Fleet Foxes.

I'm glad to hear that you're writing songs again. It seems to do you good. You're certainly right about strong emotions stored too long rotting the brain. Eventually, they WILL get out, sometimes with disastrous consequences. So I'm glad you're letting them out safely.

Corinne

PS - I just want to say that I really appreciate your comments on my blog. They're always encouraging and insightful, and they make my day. :D So thanks.

 
Creative Commons License
The Institute for Circular Reasoning by Peter Semple is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.